Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Kismet, Fabrica Notebooks

THE BIG AND SMALL NOTEBOOK BY FABRICA
PHOTOS VIA CATARINA CARREIRAS WEBSITE
The other day I eyed some notebooks from across the counter at Benetton. The sales girl asked which one I wanted hurriedly but politely, after all the store was full. I asked for the black and white one with the simple motif, so she handed it over.  That style only came in the smaller format, The Small Notebook it was literally called. My second choice was a colorful lime green chevron motif in a larger A5 format, The Big Notebook. The sales person took it for me to further inspect; it had a lovely hot pink elastic enclosure and an emerald green book mark. There were plenty of others to admire, but my husband gave me a sign that the customers behind me were becoming disgruntled and I should move it along.  I couldn’t help but bring The Big Notebook home and I was happy at the chance to start a new bullet journal as my explorations deepen. 

SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM...
THE SMALL NOTEBOOK BY FABRICA
PHOTOS VIA CATARINA CARREIRAS WEBSITE
It was shrink wrapped, and I was further pleased when I took off the plastic at home and read it was made in Italy. There was a paper bookmark/ruler with an explanation about why notebooks are so cool. These were wonderfully designed details by Catarina Carreiras for Fabrica. It had to be kismet, because I don’t believe in luck so much.

The bookmark read: Notebooks are used by everyone, everywhere. Thoughts and ideas are abstract things that are given shape in paper before becoming reality - each line, written or drawn, with a hidden thought or spontaneous idea behind it. This notebook invites you to think or draw about the rest of the world, playing on cultural references and symbols, colour and pattern, that reveal the Benetton worldwide vision. Each pattern, each drawing, each line — tell a story about who you are and what you stand for. 

Who was Fabrica? I had an insatiable curiosity and had to find out. After a quick search I understood it was Benetton’s research centre investigating the connections between culture and industry. Their website is full of fascinating information regards visual communications and definitely worth an inspirational visit.