Friday, October 2, 2015

Letterpress Chalkboard :: Beer On A Curve

My recent explorations in chalkboard paper for a client has been satisfying. On an earlier post I wrote about making your own chalkboard paper rather than downloading a digital file. At first I started off with hand lettering and a paper wire bound construction for the drink menu, but with the client we thought it wouldn’t survive the wear and tear. Back to the drawing board...
MY VANDERCOOK MAKES BEER ON A CURVE

I had already thought the same chalkboard method could be applied to wood, tried it, loved it and took it a step further! I took my hand lettering sketch and applied a composition as closely as possible to it in with wood and metal type. The biggie for me was to keep the initial beer on a curve! I knew it could be done, because I had seen it done and had a picture of it being done at a conference I had attended.
BEER ON A CURVE BEFORE AND AFTER
LETTERPRESS :: METAL TYPE :: FRENCH HEIGHT
One of the follies I make is not to take enough process photos... I get so wound up in the work and physically drained by the end, that I can’t but help want to clean up and rest after.
I caught myself just after I had started to pull out furniture from the beer on a curve composition, but everything is still quite in tact to get an idea. As you can see, I used hard cardboard to create the curve. There must be other methods, but this is the first I tried and it worked!