Wednesday, September 23, 2015

DIY :: Chalkboard Paper

I was doing some shop comparisons and recording results. What a fun challenge to find not just the least expensive paper route, but also authentic. I needed to find some chalk paper and realized that most of the chalk paper sold are digitally mastered pdfs. Which got me thinking... Why pay for a digital file when the possibility to make my own shouldn’t be that difficult? After all, I only needed a small quantity and the essentials I already have: black card stock, white chalk pencil and a fixative to prevent my work from rubbing off. It worked!
PENCIL SHAVING ON BLACK CARDSTOCK,
CHALK PENCIL & FIXATIVE FOR ADHERING
DIY CHALKBOARD PAPER


I’ve since decided to take it a step further (not shown here yet), and apply a similar method to wood painted black...hence a real chalkboard.
There are a number of at home projects this could be applied to too, like a doodle pad for kids or giant memo board for family grocery lists. It’s not clear how often paper or board would have to be replaced because of wear and tear. But, this method could surely resist something like event stationery or a piece of artwork meant to be untouched, admired or just saved for the date.